Sunday, March 27, 2016

The Refrigerator


This is not the most exciting post I will ever do, but it was something I was interested in as I was searching for an RV and the Fuse answered my concerns.   The question I had was how the refrigerator would work while I was standing still, plugged in and driving down the road.   One of the best things I thought about the motorhome would be how we could be doing things and just stop for Lunch or a snack and that included cold drinks and sandwiches.   Not that I am overly healthy in my diet but I am not the biggest fan of Subway and McDonalds.


The Fuse 23a comes with a two compartment - three way Norcold refrigerator.  It seems pretty large,  5.3 cubic feet. Much larger than a dorm fridge though not a residential unit by any means.     A separate freezer compartment, a separate crisper drawer and plenty of shelves and door storage.


There are positive latches on the doors so they will not open while traveling.  The shelves are moveable but are in tight and the wire shelves are additionally secured with a screw to keep them from bouncing.

So what does three-way mean? It has three power sources and can automatically switch between them.  So far I have left the refrigerator on auto, but you can override if you want.    The three modes are:

  1. 12v-DC -  This is powered when the engine is on.  Used when going down the road.
  2. 120v-AC  -  This is used when plugged into power or using the generator.
  3. LP -  Burns LP gas to keep the refrigerator going.   Is very efficient.
Again.  I have just put it on Auto and let it do its thing.     You can also set the cold level on the front panel.  I have it set most of the way up and it freezes ice without problems.

I have a couple of notes on this and other RV refrigerators I want to pass on.
  • There is an on/off switch on the front panel.  Make sure it is on.
  • None of the RV refrigerators get super cold fast.  They take a while to get down to temperature.  Turn it on the night before you are going to use it and you will be good.
  • These use ammonia evaporation to operate.  That means they need to be level or close to work. Not absolutely level, but close.  Get a circular bubble level (or app for your phone).  As long as you are mostly in the circle, you are good.   If the tilt is bothering you (or in my case my wife)  it is bothering the refrigerator.
  • As you are going down the road it will be on 12v so don't worry.  Don't run it on LP while underway. Safety first.
  • The movement from vehicle traveling down the road moves the ammonia around so the unit not being level, going up hills, etc. is not a big deal.

5 comments:

  1. Don, does your fridge automatically switch to battery when driving. Ours does not even though the manual says it does

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don, does your fridge automatically switch to battery when driving. Ours does not even though the manual says it does

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ours does. Make sure it is set to A. You may have a loose connection somewhere since it will only go to DC power if the engine is on per the manual which I have confirmed. If it does not think that the engine is running it will never cut over. You must have good DC power since I don't think the LP igniter will work without the DC being present (a guess). Ping the dealer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Ours definitely is not working on automatic. Very frustrating. Have an appt for warranty work late Sept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. Ours definitely is not working on automatic. Very frustrating. Have an appt for warranty work late Sept.

    ReplyDelete