Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Electrical Cords and Surge Protectors

I highly recommend and use a surge protector when I plug in the Fuse to shore power.   It may not be necessary and it may be a false security blanket, but it is cheap insurance.   I keep reading of people suffering problems during brownouts, surges, mis-wired sockets, poor grounds and several other bad conditions.

When I bought the Fuse, finding a surge suppressor was one of my first purchases.   I needed a 30amp unit so I did some research.  There were lots of opinions on the internet.  Good, better and best.  My recommendation is to buy one that makes you feel comfortable.

TRC Surge Guard 34730


I purchased the Technology Research Corp 34730 surge protector.  That was last years model and I got a deal.  Now you can get a improved Technology Research Corp 34830 30 Amp surge protector.  Both of these units analyze the power for a minute or two before they let any to the coach. I think this is a good thing to make sure the power is clean.  It continuously monitors for voltage, amps, polarity, grounding.  It has a readout you can look at to see how things are going if you are having a problem.

I also carry 2 electric cords with me.  One is a standard orange electric cord.  Nothing special, I pulled it out of the garage and it is used if I need so electricity around the campsite.



Cameo 55197


The other one I carry is a Camco 55197 30 AMP 50' PowerGrip Extension Cord.   I carry this to connect the RV when far away from a pedestal or to the house with a doggone.  This is a nice 10 awg cord.   You need the heaviest cord you can find when using 30 amps of power and going 50 feet.  A smaller gauge cord will get hot and is a safety hazard.   8 gauge would be better but is probably overkill.  I like the grips on this one and the carrying strap.   But a 10 awg cable is a 10 awg cable and they will work the same.

Note:  They seem to go on sale all of the time for about half price.  Check at Camping World, Walmart and even Lowes and Home depot.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely a good way to keep your sanity! Another one is a voltage regulator like the Hughes Autoformer.

    I assume your Surge Guard is hard-wired in your electric cabinet. I did that & had problems after a couple of weeks. After the 2 minute delay, it would start to connect and fail. I pulled it out of the cabinet and re-wired it as an external unit & it works just fine! No one I've talked with can explain this. The current recall for the Automatic Transfer Switch may have something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually my surge guard is not hard-wired. I thought about that at first and then decided that the ability to bypass it if a problem cropped up was more important than the convenience of having it hard wired. At the extreme end, the surge guard it the sacrificial piece of equipment if a really bad surge comes down the line. You would want to be able to bypass easily to get back up once conditions got better but before you were able to make it to buy another one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good information for who is new in this industry or to those who are frustrated from surges and transients. There are many surge protection devices available for different specific application such as AC appliances, Telecom, Networks, Signal and oil & gas industry.

    ReplyDelete