Friday, June 24, 2016

Resonator Installed


Fuse Generator Resonator


I finally got around to getting the resonator permanently installed today.  In an earlier post I talked a little about quieting the generator with a resonator.  The resonator is not magic.  It only drops the sound level by about 1db.  What is does do is get rid of all of the high end noises and makes them all low rumbling notes.  This is much easier on the ears and much less annoying.

Fuse Generator Resonator


I brought the Fuse to a local truck accessory shop that does exhaust systems for off road vehicles and they were happy to do it.  I told them I had seen it done using clamps and with it being welded.  The person doing the work said they only welded exhaust work and that was fine with me.  I handed them the keys and the resonator and about 45 minutes later it was done and I was paying the bill.  They charged $85.00 for the work.   Someone on Facebook said that they got it done for $65.00 at their local muffler shop, but I think that I got a fair deal.  They cut it in under the motorhome.  Welded it in place and put it all back together.   It sounds much better now.

An example showing a similar generator to ours with and without the resonator is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQboSPqKtfE.   This video does a good job of showing how the resonator helps.



2 comments:

  1. Don Your blog is immensely helpful. Thanks for doing it. Am wondering if two resonators installed end to end would reduce the noise even more? Heard of anyone doing this?

    John F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know. I have not heard anyone doing that. On my rig most of the noise is mechanical rather than exhaust. I am (assuming the weather is better this weekend) going to look at all of the exhaust system to make sure it is isolated well. I keep thinking that some of the heat shield is causing some of the noise but I am going to have to go through the system inch by inch to find anything.

    ReplyDelete